Feed Iowa First oversees approximately 26 urban farm plots per year in Cedar Rapids, as well as the safe procurement of produce donations from rural farm partners and backyard gardeners. All produce handled is chemical-free. The food grown is distributed to Linn County food pantries, social service agencies and food-insecure neighborhoods at no cost.
The Farm Coordinator will be under the direction of the Farm Manager and Executive Director, and will work as a team to ensure all aspects of the program run smoothly and efficiently. Responsibilities for the position will vary, and focus will be placed on several different aspects of urban farming and the distribution of fresh produce to local food-insecure families and social service agencies.
The tasks of the Farm Coordinator will include the creation of a 2021 farm plan, seed production, greenhouse maintenance, weeding, watering, and general labor centered on vegetable production. Additionally, the position will place a large emphasis on leading groups of volunteers to help maintain the health of the gardens, and general shop cleanliness. The ideal candidate will be hard working, and willing to learn. Distribution tasks include weighing, logging and washing produce, recording where the produce is being distributed to drop-off sites, and participating in friendly and active conversations with the clients. The applicant should enjoy working outdoors and helping people within their community.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Must be comfortable working outdoors
- Able to work with machinery (tillers, mowers, trimmers, etc…)
- Dedicated to service above self
- Must hold a degree
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Experience with Microsoft OfficeSuite programs
- Previous experience leading groups of volunteers
- Experience with farming, gardening, landscaping, agronomy or conservation
Pay Rate and Compensation
- Inquire for more details
- This role is an AmeriCorps VISTA Member position
- Educational award provided on successful completion of 1-year contract
Please send resume and cover letter to: Carter@FeedIowa1st.com