- Farming & Operations Coordinator – AmeriCorps VISTA Member
Feed Iowa First oversees approximately 25+ Urban Farm sites at any one time throughout the season in the Linn County area, as well as the safe aggregation of produce donations from rural farm partners and backyard gardeners. All produce grown and handled is chemical-free and for all intents and purposes, organic. The food grown is distributed directly to food-insecure neighborhoods, local food pantries, and social service agencies at no cost, no questions asked.
The Vegetable Farmer will be under the direction of the Farm Manager and Executive Director, working as a team to ensure all aspects programming run smoothly and efficiently. Responsibilities for the position will vary, and focus will be placed on several different aspects of urban farming included but not limited to: the creation of the 2022 Master Farm Plan, seed production, data aggregation, greenhouse maintenance, weeding, watering, and general labor centered on organic vegetable production. Additionally, the position will place a large emphasis on leading groups of volunteers to help maintain the health of the farms. The ideal candidate will be hard working, organized, and willing to learn.
- Organization and adaptation in a dynamic working environment are imperative
- Willingness to learn how to operate machinery (tillers, mowers, trimmers, etc…)
- Must be comfortable working in all different weather conditions
- Lover of plants and planet earth
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ lbs
- Dedicated to service above self
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Previous experience leading groups of volunteers a plus
- Experience with farming, gardening, landscaping, agronomy or conservation
- Experience with Microsoft OfficeSuite programs
Pay Rate and Compensation
- Stipend of $14,000 – $15,000
- This role is an AmeriCorps VISTA Member position
- Health Benefits
- Educational award in the amount of $6,000+ provided on successful completion of 1-year contract
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send resume and cover letter to: Carter@FeedIowa1st.com