Join the Feed Iowa First team for the summer!
Feed Iowa First oversees approximately 20+ urban farm plots per year in Linn County and the safe procurement of produce donations from rural farm partners. The food grown is distributed to Linn County food pantries, direct-to-family distribution, and social service agencies at no cost. The Feed Iowa First Summer Intern member will assist the farming team and learn all aspects of the farming and distribution operations.
Responsibilities will vary and focus on several different aspects of urban farming and distribution of produce to local food-insecure families. Farm tasks include, but are not limited to weeding, watering, and harvesting at any of the 20 urban growing partner sites. Distribution tasks include weighing and washing produce, recording where the produce is being distributed, accompanying staff on distribution, and interacting with diverse and immigrant communities across Cedar Rapids. The applicant should enjoy working outdoors and helping people within their community. Bilingual applicants are needed, but not necessary to apply.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Must be comfortable working outdoors.
- Some knowledge of gardening or farming.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Experience with farming, gardening, landscaping, agronomy, or conservation.
- Experience working with volunteers and leading activities.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Be ready to work in all weather, including rain and heat
- Must be able to lift and carry 50lbs
- Work with many languages and cultures
- Ability to be flexible and self-sufficient
- Good Communication
- Stipend: $2877 for the 10-week.
- At the completion of service, there is an educational award of $1374
Job Commitment: 10-Week Contract Starting June 1st
To apply, send an email with a resume and cover letter to kit@FeedIowa1st.com