Distribution and Systems Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA – Full Time
Weekdays 9 am to 5pm with some flexibility & remote service hour opportunities, some
weekends and evenings required for volunteer groups.
Position Summary: This position will work to expand fresh produce distribution directly to households and communities in need. The Coordinator will collaborate with local food pantries and organizations to assess neighborhood needs and build additional distribution capacity where there is need and improving access to nutrient dense foods in food-insecure areas. This position will be actively engaged in weekly distribution and interact with the communities we serve. Lastly, this position will also help tend fields, harvest, and prepare produce for distribution.
Distribution and Systems Implementation
- Work with Linn County and City of Cedar Rapids to identify gaps and community in needs that are not currently being served.
- Add two new distribution sites and create a plan to for volunteer support of these sites
- Identify barriers and better methods for the current distribution model.
- Work with zoning and planning to get a semipermanent food trailer approved for the downtown area and create a plan to serve at least 40 families a week at this location.
- Schedule amount of produce needed for each stop
- Food safety protocol and documentation
Partner Relationships Management:
- Builds relationships with local health clinics, non-profit organizations, and pantries to increase access.
- Work directly with communities to understand needs and gaps in services.
Volunteer Coordination & Field Maintenance:
- Organize and schedule volunteers to assist with distribution
- Lead volunteers in the field on Volunteer nights
- Maintain weekly communication with all distribution partners
- Communicate daily with Feed Iowa Staff to coordinate produce for distribution
- Learn to communicate with diverse communities
Typical challenges this position will face:
- Frequent interruptions, especially during hours with heaviest volunteer activity.
- Last-minute volunteer scheduling conflicts
- Making sound, quick decisions based upon available information without oversight.
- Working with language and cultural barriers
- The Specialist position will consist of work from home, office and outside in the community and field.
- Work conditions include summer heat, rain and non-air-conditioned office.
- Office hours for coordination and planning required.
- Must have a valid license. Will need to drive vehicles to pick-up or deliver donations on occasion.
- Moderate physical demands regularly lifts 20-50llbs.
- Able to manipulate normal office machines and technology For example; able to operate computer and computer systems, office copiers, fax, phones.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Stipend of $12,311
- Education award of $6195 upon completion of 2080 hours.
- Received training in:
- AmeriCorps VISTA Orientation
- Host Site Orientation
- Farm and Food Transportation Safety
- Volunteer Development and Management
- Develop community partners and strong professional network
- Student loan forbearance while serving
- Leadership experience, skill development, and commitment to your local community
- Upon grant award, be considered for extension to 9-month position with health and childcare benefits